Pairs: Ecoprinting part 2 : Before and After Bundling

Last week I posted about ecoprinting..if you missed it you can read about it here.

This week I tried again, using a slightly different method, called High Definition.

Luckily I did remember to take a before photo, which shows all the different foliage I experimented with including geranium, sumac(?), elm, oak and eucalyptus. This photo shows the leaves laid out on silk just before the bundling step:


The after photo(after bundling and boiling and removal of the foliage): after

Unlike last week’s attempt, all the foliage printed including the oak and the elm. The eucalyptus and oak leaves are lovely as is the geranium leaf! But I forgot to decrease the concentration of the iron mordant and I can’t believe I am saying this, but I actually forgot to do the final bundling step with twine. And I think the bundle was a bit too wet…. The effect of my errors and the excess moisture led to bleeding of the colours, especially for the sumac and elm. In addition, there were big splotches of purplish dyeing at the end of the oak leaf branches…. too much tannin would be my guess, but I don’t know how to prevent this.

A “bonus” detail shot from the after:


The eucalyptus leaf and seeds print so beautifully!!!

“Linking to Helena’s “Pairs” meme here 


9 thoughts on “Pairs: Ecoprinting part 2 : Before and After Bundling

Please leave a comment. I would love to know what you think!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.