Over 3.5 years ago I posted a “pencil case” that I made using a tutorial from Melanie Testa (https://marshaleith.wordpress.com/2010/06/09/it-worked/). It was my first blog post….
Unfortunately, the organza layer on the case has begun to tear…so it was time to make a new one. I had actually been using it as an eye-glass case so it went everywhere with me!
I decided to use a gelli-print…so I checked back through my stash of paper prints and came across this one:
I don’t remember how I did the layering….but I do recognize some bubble wrap prints, some circles from a tube of lip-gloss and the red circular lines from my dollar store placemat. I cropped the paper print with PSE and printed the image onto some inkjet cotton fabric. I did some machine free motion quilting, emphasizing some of the interesting shapes, and also tried to do some loose stitching too…The last step in preparation of the fabric was a bit of hand stitching: French knots and seed stitch. My first case had a velcro closure, but I decided to try a magnetic snap this time.
I simply constructed the case by zigzagging all the pieces together:
Quite pretty I think and a lot of fun to use the gelli-print to make fabric. Re the magnetic snap: I prefer the velcro since it keeps the corners of the flap flatter…..oh well.
And I know I have said this before but my next project WILL BE my mom’s photo quilt…..