I knew I wanted to make my mother a birthday card using my gelli plate, but not sure of what.
We are both sheep fans, but my husband suggested a goat…so I google searched for an image of a goat that I could use for inspiration. I found a lovely goat, and attempted to keep the mask looking like a goat…..Unfortunately I can’t find the original image/photo on the web to link back to though it might have had something to do with goat hunting, so in reality I would rather not!! Poor goats….
I made a mask from the goat, and then tried assorted backgrounds on watercolour paper. I knew I wanted to combine some stitching with the gelli printing so i thought that attaching the gelli print to a notecard would be the way to go.
The result after making the monoprint and doing some free motion stitching, then attaching it to the card by zigzag stitch is shown here:
My husband liked it at this stage, but I thought there was just too much white. So out came the gelli plate again!!
I remembered a post where someone had done some gelli-printing with leaves, and then used a fish mask and I loved that: http://ilove2paint.blogspot.ca/2013/05/abstracts.html
But, since the goat was already attached to the card I had to do the reverse…so I used painter’s tape and completely covered everything but the goat. Then I added some paint and leave masks to the gelli plate and crossed my fingers. I did this twice since I wanted a bit of a layered effect.
So, this was the final card:
My mother loved the card…so mission accomplished…even though she decided it looks more like a bison…so bison it is. Hubby on the other hand liked the original white goat card better.
And now the bonus…I was walking Stewie in Bunn’s Creek Park and I had taken my camera since I wanted to get a photo of what I believe must be “wild” irises. I had found some seed pods last year and a couple of days ago, I came across the plant again:And then as luck would have it, 15 minutes later we came across the ducks. They had just finished their swim and had landed:
And as a bonus, I managed to film(very shaky however) the mom and baby ducks as they were drying off their feathers. I uploaded it to Flickr, and it can be seen here:
A slightly stabilized version of this video can also be found on YouTube: